Vacancy reference: NHM/WIR/SN
Location: South Kensington
Employment type: Fixed Term
Area of business: Life Sciences
Closing date: 10/02/2013
The Natural History Museum and the Science Museum are in partnership to recruit an experienced joint Wikimedian in Residence (http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedian_in_Residence) with a good understanding of GLAM projects (http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cultural_partnerships). As the official Wikimedian in Residence the successful applicant will be expected to make an impactful contribution to the public’s knowledge of the work of both institutions and their important and unique collections. You should have an understanding of the Wikimedia movement and Wikimedia UK’s mission to help people and organisations build and preserve open knowledge to share and use freely. You will also be expected to help develop strong and on-going links to build a long term relationship with the broader Wikimedia community and help to develop methods for assessing the impact of Wikipedia and sister projects on both institutions and the communities they serve.
The successful candidate will use their strong communication and organisational skills to promote the use of Wikipedia and sister projects to museum staff including scientists, curators and educators by fostering a broader understanding of Wikipedia (and sister projects) and arranging training in use and editing with groups and individuals. You should have an understanding of Wikimedia’s movement and Wikimedia’s UK mission to help people and organisations build and preserve open knowledge to share and use freely. In addition you will work with the museum staff to improve the quality of Wikipedia pages using items of the museums’ collections, libraries and archives and discussions with curators and researchers and act as a Wikipedia advocate through outreach to museum staff about Wikipedia’s mission and how they may contribute through workshops, events and one to one interactions.
An undergraduate degree in (or strong and demonstrable knowledge) of a scientific or technological discipline with experience of working within the Wikimedia community is also essential for this post.
Wikimedia UK is currently looking for several other Wikimedians in Residence in various cultural institutions within the UK. If you would like to find out more, please contact email@example.com or visit http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cultural_partnerships#Wikimedians_in_Residence.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
An undergraduate degree in (or strong and demonstrable knowledge of) a scientific or technological discipline
- An understanding of, and empathy for, Wikimedia’s movement and Wikimedia UK’s mission to help people and organisations build and preserve open knowledge to share and use freely
- Experience of editing Wikipedia or its sister websites. Supplementary training may be given
- Experience of working with the Wikimedia community
- An understanding of and commitment to Wikimedia UK’s Equal Opportunities Policies in both services to members and employment
- Good understanding of the ethos and activities (curation, research, education) of national museum
- An understanding of the GLAM sector, its culture and aims.
- Ability to teach and support those learning to use Wikipedia and its sister projects (including via organising events/workshops
- Ability to work tactfully, sensitively and effectively, as part of the two institutions, the Wikimedia community and with a wide range of individuals and also under your own initiative
- Ability to communicate in English clearly, both verbally and in writing to a wide range of audiences alongside use of basic numeracy
- Experience of successfully meeting deadlines
- Awareness of issues related to intellectual property, confidentiality, commercial benefit and transparent working practices.